Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Really? That's your opinion?

Ok so.... I would first like to say thank you to those of you who are supporting Samantha and I in our decision to move to Charlotte. While some of the negative advice we have gotten is appreciated and I will still look to you for input on future decisions, I feel as if some you don't fully understand the relationship Samantha and I have despite my efforts do be discreet about things. So with that said, I feel as though the negative advice we have gotten is under the assumption of others that Samantha and I are having sex. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. I can assure your that WE ARE NOT HAVING SEX. In fact I feel that because we are not having sex, our relationship is that much stronger because not only do we respect the boundaries God has set for us, but we also respect each other's boundaries as well.

It almost humors me how passionate people get when offering us advice on how we should get married because statiscally, those who move in together before getting married end up getting divorced. Where is the statistic that shows that those people are Christians and are not having sex? To go along with the previous point, how much higher is the divorce rate when people rush into marriage? Marriage is a big decision. A much bigger decision than moving in together(not that moving in together is not one, because it is). I just think it is a bit ridiculous for people to be concerned about us getting divorced later in life, but then want us to rush into a marriage that not only are we not ready for, but we do not have money for. "Just go to the courthouse" you say? Umm... no. It actually makes it worse because then when we do move in together and say it doesn't work out, now not only are we put in a living situation where we have to work out financial details, but we are also divorcees. It's called preparation people. The truth of the matter is, nobody knows our relationship better than us and God. So don't assume things are going on in our relationship that may or may not be going on. Let me clarify again, I say may or may not assuming that there are probably other things people are assuming about us but WE ARE NOT HAVING SEX. There is a great saying that goes, "if you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME." And that is exactly what has happened. I didn't want to be confrontational about this but it tears me apart knowing that close friends want us to rush our relationship even farther into a point of marriage when we are not ready for it and doing what we believe God wants us to do. As far as I know there is nothing in the Bible that states that a man and woman cannot live together before marriage. Sex before marriage? Yes, the Bible clearly states that that is a sin. But do not tell me we are committing a sin by moving in together. That's ridiculous.

To take this into a calmer tone, I understand and appreciate everyone's concern. This is a big step. I pray that you will pray for our relationship and that we continue to grow in Christ together. I still look up to you all and will continue to look to you all for advice. However, if you think that something is going on in our lives, ASK. I am a very honest and upfront person and am willing to talk about your concerns for us. Anyone who has known me over a year should know this.

In closing, thank you all so much again for your concerns but PLEASE.... do not assume things about us. We have both been through a lot and have both grown significantly from the mistakes we have made and are two completely different people than we once were in the past. I just ask that if you do have advice for us think thoroughly about what you are going to say and if you have alternatives, really think if they are going to be better if we rush into them. Thank you so much for your time and I hope I did not offend anybody(not that we haven't already by our decisions). While I may have carried an argumentative tone through most of this post I can assure you I am not holding grudges with anyone. I still love you all just as much and hope to continue our friendship. Church members often disagree on several issues, but the ones we need to be concerned about is if it a salvation issue or not. Co-habitation without marriage, without sex, is not a salvation issue. Thank you once again for you time and have a great day!

7 comments:

  1. Your post was so much nicer than mine. This is why we're perfect for eachother. It's all about balance, baby. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this was a response to my blog post, but if it was, I didn't say that the divorce rate is necessarily higher for people who move in together. That has been debunked, and I posted an article which says so, which I will copy here: http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-03-03/entertainment/27057883_1_cohabiting-couples-marriage

    You could actually use that when people try to start telling you statistics. Yes, Sam's blog served as an inspiration for my discussion, but it was informed by months of seeing people not take relationships seriously, mostly by the style blogging community who just support anyone who wants to get a divorce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours was just one of the dozen statistic comments that we've heard. No hard feelings, Leah. We're just tired of it (from everyone). Plus, statistics are generally irrelevant. Generally. Thanks for the info, though. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Hey Leah, no this was not directed at you. Like Samantha said we have gotten a lot of negative feedback and I feel like people just don't understand our relationship. I appreciate your boldness and willingness to discuss this and I assure you that this has no affect on our relationship and I will always look to you and Daniel's opinion on things. You are both very important to me and I thank you again for your opinion, even if it isn't the same as ours.

      Delete
  3. Call me liberal in some of my views, but I fully support you two in your move and your decisions. No matter what you do in life or what steps you take to prepare for something in the future, there is ALWAYS uncertainty, so yes, there is no telling how things will unfold, but if you know that you love each other and are willing to put fourth the effort to make things work, then go for it! Only you two can define your relationship and whatever it is, it is, as long as you're both happy! I don't care what has happened to others in the past or what statistics say, this is your life to make, so make it as you please! Know that you have my support and if you ever need anything, I'm a call or click away..or an 11 hour flight :) Best of luck to both of you! Sam, you will always be one of my dearest friends and I wish for your happiness in your next steps in life! I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Lee! We will definitely make sure to take you up on that 11 hour flight at some point. Nothing like visiting Hawaii to forget the cool weather in NC.

      Delete
  4. Did you purposely forget the "s" after "thanks" because she's Asian?

    ReplyDelete